macncheese

OMGosh I am in love with this recipe. My main preggo craving was mac n cheese, and I ate a lot of it...if it was on the menu, I was ordering it. I have tried a ton of recipes over the last few months, and this one, adapted from Real Simple magazine, takes the cake. I made it a little healthier (for macaroni I mean) using wheat pasta, cauliflower, whole-grain bread crumbs and reduced-fat milk and cheese. The cauliflower not only makes it healthier, but, in my opinion, actually tastier if you can believe it. Just trust me and go with it. If I didn't tell you it was in there, you wouldn't know.

Photobucket


12 ounces multigrain elbow macaroni
1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
kosher salt and black pepper
1 onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar (reduced fat or 2% cheese) (6 ounces)
1 1/2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 400° F. Cook the pasta according to the package directions, adding the cauliflower during the last 3 minutes of cooking time; drain.

Photobucket

Return the pasta pot to medium heat and add the onion, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes.

Photobucket

Mix in the pasta and cauliflower and the cheese, sour cream, milk, and mustard.

Photobucket

Transfer to a shallow 3-quart baking dish.

Photobucket

Evenly top with the grated Parmesan and the panko bread crumbs.

Photobucket

Bake until the top is golden brown and perfectly crispy - about 12 to 15 minutes.

Photobucket

Creamy cheesy deliciousness. Obviously served with some good old fashioned corn on the cob and ocra. Southern delights.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment