A Must Read

A Thousand Splendid Suns.

I have had this book on my to-read-list for over a year, and I just never did get to it. Finally, I have time to read again and this is the first book I got my hands on.

Photobucket

It is phenomenal. I smiled and wiped away tears, and learned the history of a culture that I truly knew not much about. All I can say is, Wow. What people can endure amazes me.

The story follows the lives of two Afghani women, Mariam and Laila, as they move from children to adults in a country it seems cannot escape the perils of war. The book spans 30 years, beginning with the Soviet invasion and ending with the overthrow of the Taliban. I enjoyed learning about the political turmoil and constant power struggles in Afghanistan, and it broke my heart to realize how horribly women are treated in this culture, and so many like it. This book changed me and it was a story I'll never forget of love, friendship, and the will to survive. I can't believe it took me so long to finally dive into this wonderful treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment