Goodbye Granddaddy Brooks

He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living man.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

After a long, happy, and beautiful life of 99 years, my precious granddaddy said goodbye to his earthly home and went to be in his heavenly home. I have never known a kinder and gentler man, I am so grateful that lived such a wonderful life and touched so many people. He was a father of seven, and a grandfather, great grandfather and great great grandfather to 60-something Brooks descendants. We are a family full of love, and we are lucky to have a little bit of him in each of us. I will forever remember making oatmeal together in our kitchen, sitting on his lap in church, listening to his stories of growing up in Alabama, and how he never could get enough of me playing his favorite fiddle tune, Orange Blossom Special, on my violin every time we were together.

It calms me and comforts me to know that he was surrounded by his children and family members, and he was able to say good bye in peace. My sister and mom called this afternoon and asked me to play for him over the speakerphone, so just two hours before his departure, I played his favorite fiddle tune and our favorite hymn, Amazing Grace. He was so very special.

Granddaddy Brooks
God saw you were getting tired and a recovery was just not meant to be, so God took your hand and said to you "It's time to come Home with Me"

No comments:

Post a Comment