Holiday Party Central

These last two weeks have been jam packed with holiday parties, and we have one almost every night this week! This has definitely been one of the most fun holiday seasons that I can remember. Maybe it's because this is our first Christmas together as a married couple and we still have some of our newlywed sparkle, or maybe it's the excitement of our upcoming honeymoon trip, or the anticipation of 2011 and a new job and new experiences. Or maybe it's that I feel that I'm in a great place spiritually, physically, and emotionally, and we have so much to be thankful for and so much to look forward to. Or...quite possibly and most likely, the Glee Christmas album is playing, and listening to the amazing voices of Amber Riley, Lea Michele, Matthew Morrison and Chris Colfer would put anyone in the Christmas spirit.



This final song from the grinch was my favorite. The harmonies are beautiful, but I've definitely overplayed all of the songs on that this last week while I've been baking and cooking for our parties, just me and the pups rocking out in the kitchen.

I have a whole bunch of holiday goodies I've been wanting to make, so this is the week of holiday appetizers. On Saturday when I got back from Atlanta, I was a little rushed to get to our party that night so I needed to make something that wasn't going to take forever. I decided to go with Bacon Wrapped Dates and Artichoke Dip Mini Phyllos. The bacon wrapped dates are seriously dangerously good, and only took 15 minutes. The artichoke mini phyllos were a great last minute idea, as I was intending to do a shrimp and artichoke phyllo and believe it or not, publix was out of shrimp!

IMG_4962


Bacon Wrapped Dates
24 pitted dates
optionally stuff with 24 whole blanched almonds or 1/2 teaspoon of goat cheese
8 slices bacon *try wrapping with prosciutto and cut broil time to 2 minutes each side

IMG_4964

I decided not to stuff them tonight. I love the taste of a date, pure and simple, so I'm leaving them be.

Preheat the broiler. Pit the dates and *stuff dates with almonds or 1/2 tsp of goat cheese.*
Cut bacon into thirds crosswise. Wrap each date with a bacon strip. Place seam side down on a slotted broiler pan.

IMG_4970

Broil until crispy on one side, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until bacon is crispy throughout, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer to paper towels to drain.

Skewer them for easy bites and non-greasy fingers for your guests.

IMG_5007


Spinach and Artichoke Mini Phyllos
I made a half recipe of my easy five ingredient spinach dip.

IMG_4983

Scoop a tablespoon into each mini phyllo, making sure to get an artichoke heart into each cup, sprinkle with shaved parmesana and top with half of a cherry tomato. Bake at 350 for 25-20 minutes.

IMG_4987

How about that for quick and easy? Nothing gourmet, clearly, but fast and tasty, and bitesize. And they looked pretty on one of my new christmas platters.

For tonight's party, we're doing a tomato and feta tart, vanilla almond sugar cookies, and a baked brie en croute.

For tomorrow's party...still deciding.

No comments:

Post a Comment