The Dish of Honor

Where else could I possibly begin, but with my most favorite, the dish of all dishes, the delectable sweet potato casserole.

sweet-potato-casserole


It is extremely hard for me to believe this about myself, even as I write it, but I was a terrible eater growing up. I absolutely hated thanksgiving because there was not one dish that I could tolerate. I didn't eat veggies or casseroles or most meats, so thanksgiving for me was completely awful. I would have been just fine with some kraft macaroni and cheese and maybe some corn. Many thanksgiving nights ended with just a bowl of cereal...not even dessert, because pecan pie and pumpkin pie were just the grossest desserts I could imagine. What was I doing???

Then finally one day, I stopped being a picky little girl and awakened to a fabulous world of flavors and vegetables and cooking, and thanksgiving has become the holiday I look forward to most. I do believe it all started with the sweet potato casserole, and I just can't get enough of it now.

My family has never done the marshmallow version, so that is uncharted territory for me, and will most definitely remain that way, because if there is one thing at thanksgiving that sends me into pure food bliss, it is the sweet potato casserole with pecan topping. My grandmomma brooks made the most amazing version which my mom has made religiously for as long as I can remember.
This is her version.

Sweet Potato Casserole
3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (4-5 potatoes)
1 cup sugar (or 1/2 cup brown + 1/2 cup white) *note I just do 1/2 cup brown and no white...less sugar is better!
1 cup milk (or 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 cup melted butter, southern style)
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
Topping:
1/2 - 1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cups flour
1/3 cup butter (melted or mash with a fork or pastry cutter)
bce update
add teaspoon juice of an orange and 1/4 tsp orange zest to the potato mix

To mash the potatoes, bake at 375 degrees for about an 45 minutes to an hour until they're very soft. (or boil the potatoes until soft) When done, let cool and then peel a scrape all the potato flesh into a mixing bowl. Add the milk, sugar, vanilla, beaten eggs, and optional butter and mix until desired smoothness...I like a little texture. Spread into a baking dish, and then mix the topping and spread over the top.
Then bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes until top is crunchy and golden brown. I literally could just eat this on thanksgiving day and nothing else and be one happy little girl.

IMG_2435

Note, I like to cut the sugar to 1/2 cup brown only because the potatoes are so sweet and flavorful on their own. I'll also do 1 cup of milk rather than the 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup butter, but if you're a butter lover, feel free to go that route.

Also, if you're trying to be extra healthy, just sprinkle the top with pecans alone, no sugar, flour and butter for some added crunch. This is not my ideal for thanksgiving day when calories don't count, but for other times, I'm all in!

update A friend recommended 1 cup of light coconut milk instead of plain milk and no sugar in the mix at all, since the coconut milk is sweet. Interesting, may have to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment