Beautiful Saturday for a Football Game

Saturday started out perfectly, and unfortunately ended in gator heartache. It was a beautiful morning with no clouds in the sky, perfect for a long run to break in my new running shoes. Going and coming I passed our friendly produce man on the corner and I smelled the fresh fruits and veggies and told him I'd be back. As soon as I got home, I grabbed the keys and some cash and went back to go to town. I picked up some staples, but was especially excited to see some seriously giant avocados and some green tomatoes. Ohhhhhh you know what that means. Three Words: Fried Green Tomatoes. Those are up next on the menu, but for gameday lunch, I decided to make us some chicken sandwiches with a bunch of the new fresh veggies. It's one of my favorite things to make for a quick yummy lunch, and it hit the spot for our pre-tailgating meal.

IMG_3440

2 chicken breasts pounded thin
2 tablespoons cajun or blackening Seasoning
1 Loaf of French Bread or multi-grain slices
Ranch Dressing
2 slices of bacon (lite or turkey)
1 Avocado sliced
1 Tomato sliced
1 cup shredded cheese
few slices onion

IMG_3411

see? seriously large avocado. yummmmm.

Slice up the veggies and season the avocado slices with a little S&P. (I used some seasoned salt)

IMG_3417

Season chicken and grill 5 minutes each side

p.s. if you want to do this for a girls night, throw 3-4 chicken breasts in a crockpot with seasoning (montreal is good too) with the chicken broth and cook on high for four hours. Shred the chicken in the crock pot so that it soaks up all the marinade and is really moist.

If you're making a lot, cut French bread loaf long ways in half & spread Ranch dressing on both sides of the loaf. For us I just did multi-grain slices pre-toasted with a little ranch on one side.

IMG_3421

Then add chicken, bacon, cheese, tomato onion, and avocado.

IMG_3437

Bake at 375 for 8 minutes, and then broil for 1-2 but watch closely so it's nice and crispy but not burnt.

IMG_3439


And since my avocado was ginormous, what else could I do but mash up some guacamole? My favorite guac goes like this:

chop up some tomato really finely
chop up some onion really finely
mash the avocado
add salt and pepper
add 2 teaspoons cumin
mix it all together
add a splash of lime juice

IMG_3428

We had a great time at the game with great friends and great weather, but the poor gators are just not good this year. Sad ending to a really fantastic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment