mango smoothie

I did a lunch-time run this afternoon, and I wanted to have a filling healthy breakfast to get me through the run and keep me full, since I have a client coming in after lunch and won't get to eat till much later. I made a version of the breakfast smoothie from runners world, but I used frozen mango and chia seeds. OMG. I love mangoes so much, and this just became my favorite smoothie. Make it as soon as you possibly can.

Mangoes can be hard to eat, so I frequently eat the Dole frozen mangoes as a snack or with vanilla ice cream. The Dole frozen mangoes are a great option when you just don't feel like dealing with the cutting up of the mango. But, nothing is near as good as a fresh mango, so here's the easiest way to cut it so you can use it in salsas, salads and your other favorite recipes.

mango

In the middle is a long pit which spans almost the entire length of the mango, so you can't slice down the center. Instead you want to make two slices longways that are slightly off center so you will miss the pit, getting as close to the pit as you can without hitting it.
Now you should have two side slices and a thick center slice containing the pit. Slice off the other two smaller sides from the pit also.

mangostep3

You can use a paring knife to slice off any remaining mango meat on the pit, or just eat it right off the pit like I do. This is nice to snack on while you’re cutting the rest of the mango.

Now, the fun part. With a small paring knife, score the mango halves into cubes without cutting through the skin. The size doesn’t matter. I make mine pretty small, but you could do large chunks if you want. The key is not breaking the skin. You should be able to feel the tip of the knife hit the skin while you’re making your slices.

mango 2

Using your thumbs, press the mango inside out and now you can break off little pieces with your fingers or spoon or use a knife and let the pieces fall into a bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment