unloading the veggies night

Last night I looked in the fridge to decide what to make for dinner and I saw that we had tons and tons of veggies, but just a few of each one, so I decided to get creative and do a big mashup of everything with some pasta. I wanted a light non-tomato based sauce for a change so here's what I came up with...
Fresh veggies, light sauce and my new fave noodle, the bucatini. Tuesday Night Pasta Primavera
IMG_3364

Bucatini are spaghetti-like strands of pasta that are thicker than spaghetti, with a thin, hole down the center. According to wiki: “Bucatini originated in central Italy, but became popular in Rome, especially in the classic dish, Bucatini alla Matriciana, which has a light, spicy sauce made of tomatoes, pancetta, red pepper flakes, and grated Pecorino cheese.” Totally going to have to order that in Rome and definitely going to attempt a version pretty soon.
IMG_3356

How cool are these noodles? They’re so thick you can only swirl a couple at a time onto the fork, and they’re like glorious little straws. I love the texture – sturdy and tender at the same time. They were great with the light sauce and veggies. A thicker sauce probably wouldn’t do so well with this noodle – might get a little messy and you’ll run out of room on your fork.


Pasta Primavera a la LC
1 can chicken broth
½ cup (fat free) Half&Half
¼ cup half heavy cream/half skim milk*
You can do all heavy cream or all milk – gauge your consistency to health ratio ;)
1 tbl. olive oil
3 cloves minced garlic
½ onion sliced
1 red bell pepper sliced
primavera veggies – 1 medium zucchini, 1 medium squash, 2 broccoli florets, ½ lb asparagus, 10 ounce frozen package green peas thawed, ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
½ bag loose spinach leaves
10 ounces Pasta of your choice – spaghetti, linguini, angel hair you name it
½ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
¼ cup basil chiffonade
S&P

IMG_3332

Bring 4 quarts water to boil in a large pot for cooking the pasta. I’m using the Bucatini.

Heat olive oil in large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add red peppers and onion and sauté till tender 6-8 minutes (if you like mushrooms, add them here with the onion). Add in garlic near the end and stir until fragrant, about a minute.

IMG_3346

ooh tonight I used my new all clad French skillet! This is definitely going to be getting a lot of use in my kitchen.

Add the chicken broth and cream mixture (and red pepper flakes) and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and rapidly simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. If you use milk, add a tablespoon of flour to thicken it up a bit. Reduce heat to med-low and cover to keep warm.

IMG_3347

Add noodles to the boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes. Throw in the zucchini, squash and asparagus for 2 minutes. Then throw in the broccoli for 1-2 minutes. You want to cook until all the veggies and pasta are al dente. Drain pasta and veggies and return then to the empty pasta pot.

IMG_3359

Add spinach, peas and tomatoes to the sauce and stir until spinach begins to wilt.

IMG_3360

Then combine the sauce with the pasta in whichever pot you like and think is big enough to get a good stir going and coat the pasta with the sauce. Stir in the basil and S&P to taste.

IMG_3366

Grate some parm over it, butter some bread, and praise God because this is sooo good and healthy!

IMG_3370


Side Note – my hubby likes meat with his meals (I may have mentioned this before) so before I started the sauce, I pan grilled a chicken breast cutlet and some scallops and set them aside. I added these to the sauce with the spinach, peas and tomato to warm through, and when I made his plate I made sure he got most of the meat, and I got some scallops. It’s the little things

No comments:

Post a Comment